FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Fabswingers.com site feedback

can I make a radical suggestion re: warnings on profiles...

Jump to newest

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

since we all know and you have explained in Q&A that the warning that people put in profiles is completely pish and is just wasting valuable space can I make a radical suggestion....

sent out everyone 1 email explaining that is it useless and explaining why, and ask everyone nicely to remove it for the good of the site

give them lets say.... 1 month...

after that.... start removing profiles with the warning on it..

carrot and stick approach.... if it is going to start causing issues in the future then nip it in the bud....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Does that include the pisstake versions though? I like reading those

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"Does that include the pisstake versions though? I like reading those "

They'd become redundant too, so yes.

over a year ago

I'd say that removing the profile for non compiance is pretty harsh but I'd say something needs to be done.

Maybe a message on each members home page similar to that posted when there is a site issue?

I see them and think 'how gulable are some peeps' how would a warning like that on an adult web site have any legal status. Even if it did, who is going to employ a layer to sue for damages

By *heRainManMan
over a year ago

Warrington & Glasgow

What about running a script that looks for the word "Sydney" in all profiles? Then send the owner a msg?

You'd need to choose a time when the site was quiet, e.g 8am on Sunday Well I'm sure the site stats WILL be able to suggest a sensible time!

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I was just thinking out loud...

just because of the situations that the forums were suffering because of slow running issues... and I can imagine that piffle at the end of peoples profiles are taking up a lot of space and bandwidth...

i thought it was an easy thing to suggest that would free space up without really incoviencing people...

over a year ago

Althought the 'warning' is utter tosh, it is no worse than someone having a profile which is 2 mile long, so maybe we should simple limit the length of a profile to xxxxx number of characters and then if anypne wants to use their allocation of space on usless shite then that's up to them but it won't be at the expense of others ...

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

Also all the pics made up of letters etc

By *heRainManMan
over a year ago

Warrington & Glasgow

"Also all the pics made up of letters etc"
That's a very valid point! The "ASCII art" must take up a lot more space that the Warnings.

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

"Also all the pics made up of letters etcThat's a very valid point! The "ASCII art" must take up a lot more space that the Warnings."

Oops is that the correct way of saying it, sorry dumb blonde here lol

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"Also all the pics made up of letters etcThat's a very valid point! The "ASCII art" must take up a lot more space that the Warnings."

Both issues are easily solved

As the whole site. and any similar site is a database, with a web front end,

both issues could be solved by admin having the field character length set to a character limit,

yes this would make it hareder for those who feel the need for a long drawn out profile description, but would have the following benefit:

They may use the space taken up by the non enforcable warning to instead use the space for decribing who they are and whey they are looking for

it would also stop the 'ASCII' art and put that space to better use

over a year ago

More or less what I said 6 days ago .....

By *ubybabyCouple
over a year ago

lincoln ish

someone down loaded all my pics of my profile and posted them round my village , i agree that the warning notice is a load of tish . it would not be hard for the site to put a block on profiles to stop photos being down loaded and used for illegal purposes . then we wouldt need to put any notice at all on our profiles xxx ruby

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"someone down loaded all my pics of my profile and posted them round my village , i agree that the warning notice is a load of tish . it would not be hard for the site to put a block on profiles to stop photos being down loaded and used for illegal purposes . then we wouldt need to put any notice at all on our profiles xxx ruby

"

There is no way of stopping people downloading any picture they want to from any site on the internet.

I won't go into details here, for obvious reasons, but thinking the site stopping people being able to right click and then save pictures makes yours safe is a false sense of security.

over a year ago

From the sites FAQ:

Why don't you right-click protect our photos to stop others stealing / saving them?

We believe in being straighforward with the members of Fab. Right click protect doesn't work and gives a false sense of security by pretending to "protect" images. Other sites may pretend they've protected your images but actually they're being dishonest by claiming that.

Right click "protect" can be gotten around in under 2 seconds by any of the following methods:

Simplest: Goto File menu, Save As, and save to desktop = The photos will be in a folder on your desktop that your browser has created.

OR... Disable JavaScript by going to Tools menu, choose Internet Options, Click the Security tab, click Custom Level, scroll to the "Scripting" section of the list and click Disable. Right click can now be used to save images.

OR... Press print screen and the image + page will be copied to clipboard where it can be pasted into a graphics program for resize or save.

We give you three privacy options on your photos and we now hide images from anyone who isn't a member of Fab. If you are worried about someone stealing your photos you may want to set them to be viewable only by your friends, or private in which case you can send by private mail.

We also now watermark all photos upon upload.

My personal suggestion re pics is to only have non identifiable ones in public view (no faces, tattoos etc)

S.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

And there was me not wanting to put all that on here, to make it easier for them to go off to other sites and download the pics to then upload here.

Not a lot of folk know about the FAQ page either!

over a year ago

"And there was me not wanting to put all that on here, to make it easier for them to go off to other sites and download the pics to then upload here.

Not a lot of folk know about the FAQ page either! "

I think that most people have the intelligence to work that out for themselves TBH and the more people that are aware of the issue, in my opinion, the better.

Am sure that most people would like to know that pics are easily copied, even with right click control then they can make an informed decision on what to show.

S.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"And there was me not wanting to put all that on here, to make it easier for them to go off to other sites and download the pics to then upload here.

Not a lot of folk know about the FAQ page either!

I think that most people have the intelligence to work that out for themselves TBH and the more people that are aware of the issue, in my opinion, the better.

Am sure that most people would like to know that pics are easily copied, even with right click control then they can make an informed decision on what to show.

S."

Agreed, and that's why I posted the reply I did to her.

The second reply to your goodself was a tongue in cheek one with the first paragraph and informative with the mention of "Not a lot of folk know about the FAQ page either" meaning a lot of question can be answered by having a wee look in there.

over a year ago

It's not a massive problem to take a screenshot

over a year ago

And if all else fails, I have seen people actually taking photos of the screen with a camera, so in a nutshell, if you don't want anyone to pinch your photos - don't put them on 'tinternet - it's as simple as that.

If you put them there - they can be stolen and there is nothing anyone can do to prevent it

Post new Message to Thread