Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Fabswingers.com site feedback

premium text number

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has Fab passed my mobile details on to a third party?

just had a free text message from the same number i use to submit my membership fee - they were trying to sell me premium text services

(thread closed by moderator)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Has Fab passed my mobile details on to a third party?

just had a free text message from the same number i use to submit my membership fee - they were trying to sell me premium text services "

me too, not impressed!

Reply privately

By *ingleguy1973Man
over a year ago

peterborough

same here

Reply privately

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Im going to put this thread in the site feedback forum where admin can see it and answer the question x

Reply privately

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

Well, I know some of us do pay for silver or gold supporter stuff, so in that case its not exactly a free site, but my Dad always said, there's no such thing as a free lunch, guess he was right!

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

i aint

no one has text me all evening

Reply privately

over a year ago

"same here "

that is the last time I'm believing their privacy blurb

Reply privately

over a year ago

Me too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This is from the site supporters FAQs:

Do you text reminders, marketing stuff, anything like that?

No! Never! We text you ONCE to give you your PIN. This is a one-off text not a subscription, and we don't text reminders or marketing rubbish. If you want to text in again to extend your site supporter pass it's up to you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Obviously something has gone awry somewhere.

Reply privately

By *icknDeeCouple
over a year ago

hartlepool

We've just had this text message too... Not impressed.

Reply privately

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I had a premium text tonight too...if this site is the reason then it'll be a long time before my next fiver goes in......

Reply privately

over a year ago

I had one too!!

Reply privately

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

Oo-er... bit worried now, cos I ring in off a landline..... are we gonna be inundated with "cold callers" offering us double glazing and kitchens ffs?

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

yep... seems I received one as well....... naughty naughty people!

Reply privately

By *j_markCouple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Totteridge/Whetstone

We don't actually get anyone's text details - they are held securely by our text processing people. We're asking them to look into this ASAP and expect to have a response here shortly.

There aren't some fly by night guys either, we use one of the UK's largest and most trusted names in premium text.

Can those who have posted above please contact us privately with your number and the exact message you received?

Thanks,

Admin x

Reply privately

By *j_markCouple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Totteridge/Whetstone

Just to clarify - we never sell anyones details and our contract with our text processor is likewise; they can't (by law) sell or pass on any of your details. We're looking into if this is a cockup, anything malicious or simply a co-incidence (we have a lot of people who have upgraded and spammers also send out a lot of texts).

Admin x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I had one few days ago, thought it was the same number, then thought, surely not....

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

spoke to soon, got one as i went to bed last night

Reply privately

By *j_markCouple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Totteridge/Whetstone

Thanks to those who have contacted us with the number + the message received, as well as their own number. We've passed a sample of these onto our text processor for further investigation and hope to have an update shortly.

We want to get to the bottom of this and we'll keep everyone updated.

Admin x

Reply privately

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Just checked my phone and we too have received one during the night. looks like a global text message has been sent out for whatever nefarious reasons.

However as admin has pointed out, its a service they contract out, so its not them directly responsible. Hope those of you who quickly jumped to critisise understand that and admins explanation of sorting it out as soon as possible.

Reply privately

over a year ago

We received a message last night wanting us to join a premium text service to recieve photo s from what i could gather from the message, apart from upgrading on here my phone is never used for any other premium services and it is never used for the internet so this leaves us wondering how this other company has got hold of our number? our mobile number is also not listed.

Reply privately

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"We received a message last night wanting us to join a premium text service to recieve photo s from what i could gather from the message, apart from upgrading on here my phone is never used for any other premium services and it is never used for the internet so this leaves us wondering how this other company has got hold of our number? our mobile number is also not listed."

Sounds like the same message I got last night too. Pictures for £3 a week, etc

Reply privately

By *_n_JCouple
over a year ago

between Sheffield and Doncaster

We've had the same message...wonder if it's only people who have renewed their supporter badge recently?

We have 2 phones we use to renew our badge and the phone that received the premium text was the one we used this last week to renew

Reply privately

over a year ago

i got thie Pictures for £3 a week one yesterday, does this mean i'l find extra charges on my bill? it said text stop to stop recieving, but i havent ever texted it to begin with?

my site supporter runs out today, i dont think il renew it if this is the kinda thing that happens,

Reply privately

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"We've had the same message...wonder if it's only people who have renewed their supporter badge recently?

We have 2 phones we use to renew our badge and the phone that received the premium text was the one we used this last week to renew "

No, it's 5 weeks since I did.

I accept that this is beyond admin's control, but I'm still not impressed.

Maybe being "the best premium text provider" isn't such an impressive claim...!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We've had the same message...wonder if it's only people who have renewed their supporter badge recently?

We have 2 phones we use to renew our badge and the phone that received the premium text was the one we used this last week to renew

No, it's 5 weeks since I did.

I accept that this is beyond admin's control, but I'm still not impressed.

Maybe being "the best premium text provider" isn't such an impressive claim...!"

ditto, i last renewed over a month ago. as others have said, i dont use this phone for any other 'subscription' purposes so i sincerely doubt it could have happened from any other source.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Thanks to those who have contacted us with the number + the message received, as well as their own number. We've passed a sample of these onto our text processor for further investigation and hope to have an update shortly.

We want to get to the bottom of this and we'll keep everyone updated.

Admin x"

Let them try and sort it at least.

Reply privately

over a year ago

just ignore them,if u text back anything they will keep hasseling u

Reply privately

By *j_markCouple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Totteridge/Whetstone

Hi guys

Apologies for the delay we've been waiting on our premium text processor and they've been checking this out carefully.

Here's what we've found.

1. No marketing messages have been sent by them to any mobile numbers that they've checked. As we said earlier, by law (data protection act), the mobile numbers people have used to upgrade can't have been passed to other companies, either by them or us (and we can confirm we don't get people's mobile numbers as part of the upgrade process; if there is an issue we need to ask the user for their number and can then perform a lookup).

2. We can also confirm that the 89333 code which the messages came from is not used or operated by our aggregator, which rules out the possibility of some sort of cockup (our number which folks text "swing" is different, 89398 and the number we text back on, 79069; neither are linked to the 89333 number).

There are a number of possibilities how a small number of user's numbers could have ended up with these 89333 people texting, from skulduggery on the site (i.e. someone registering a profile and soliciting numbers) to issues at one of the networks, to gathering from another source.

The premium text regulator has a website at:

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk

On this is can be seen that the operators of the 89333 service are called WIN. They have an obligation to tell people how their number has been acquired for marketing purposes and they can be contacted using the details below. We would urge anyone who has received a marketing text from 89333 (i.e. people in the thread above!) that they believe they didn't sign up for their service or opt in to their marketing texts to contact them and ask where they got their number from.

WIN (Wireless Information Network) Ltd

1 Cliveden Office Village

Lancaster Road

High Wycombe

HP12 3YZ

01494 750 500

customerservices@winplc.com

If after a reasonable period you don't get any joy, you can submit a formal complaint through the phonepayplus website above. Let them know the exact message you received, the number you received it to and the number it came from.

Looking online it seems that the 89333 people have been at this kind of thing before e.g. see this message on the vodafone website about spam:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Spam-Texts-won-t-STOP/m-p/628499

We're closing this thread so that this message from us remains the last and most obvious on the thread. If you still have any problems or queries contact us directly and we'll see what we can do (or start a new thread).

Admin x

Reply privately