FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Fabswingers.com site feedback

Forum votes up/down Sept FEEDBACK THREAD

Jump to newest
 

By *j_mark OP   Couple
Forum Mod

2 weeks ago

Totteridge/Whetstone

Pop any feedback here

Admin

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
2 weeks ago

Gilfach

What does the 'thumb down' button do if the button presses aren't being counted / displayed?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ookAndDorkCouple
2 weeks ago

The West

Not sure it's sensible to have a downvote button that doesn't work if your looking for accurate information on usage.

The lack of functionality will influence how it's used and people will click it less than they would if the vote score was displayed accurately.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By (user no longer on site)
2 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 21/09/26 11:59:44]

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

2 weeks ago

O o O oo

https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/feedback/1835539

"Presently, only positive thumbs ups are counted/displayed while we gather data."

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *eliWoman
2 weeks ago

.

I don't think it's a good idea. At all. The forums will become more of a popularity contest, the down thumbs is nonsense and open to abuse.

There are things within the forums that could do with a shake up and it's a shame that this is what admin has chosen to focus on.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By (user no longer on site)
2 weeks ago

Please do not ever show the thumbs down count Admin.

As Meli says, it would be open to abuse and would be demoralising.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
2 weeks ago

Gilfach


"https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/feedback/1835539

"Presently, only positive thumbs ups are counted/displayed while we gather data.""

Yes. I've seen that. But why display the thumb down button at all if it doesn't do anything?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

2 weeks ago

O o O oo

Maybe for when it goes live?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *its_and_TiramisuCouple
2 weeks ago

North Somerset


"I don't think it's a good idea. At all. The forums will become more of a popularity contest, the down thumbs is nonsense and open to abuse.

There are things within the forums that could do with a shake up and it's a shame that this is what admin has chosen to focus on."

Personally I disagree.

Every comment is already open to abuse, although thankfully it's pretty well moderated.

Think how often you've really wanted to disagree with a comment but despite typing a response numerous times you sensibly delete, because you don't want to end up on 'that step'?

A simple 'thumbs down' gives the opportunity to disagree with a comment without running the risk of a thread turning into a gunfight, the thread getting derailed and it may also work wonders for highlighting when a statement made isn't viewed as being acceptable by the majority? All anonymously, given you can't see who thumbs up or down. 🤷‍♂️

The forums have always had an element of popularity. That'll never change, much like the ability to fab photos. But given there's no tracking data it couldn't be used to suck up to people or to alienate/isolate others based on their reaction.

To me it's nothing more than a sense check on how a comment is viewed by the forum community. It could be a really handy tool to drive more positive behaviours if people suddenly see that their comments aren't going down well.

So I'd love both the thumbs up AND the thumbs down to be shown. Just showing one seems pointless to me.

Obi

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *lowupdollTV/TS
2 weeks ago

Here. There.


"I don't think it's a good idea. At all. The forums will become more of a popularity contest, the down thumbs is nonsense and open to abuse.

There are things within the forums that could do with a shake up and it's a shame that this is what admin has chosen to focus on.

Personally I disagree.

Every comment is already open to abuse, although thankfully it's pretty well moderated.

Think how often you've really wanted to disagree with a comment but despite typing a response numerous times you sensibly delete, because you don't want to end up on 'that step'?

A simple 'thumbs down' gives the opportunity to disagree with a comment without running the risk of a thread turning into a gunfight, the thread getting derailed and it may also work wonders for highlighting when a statement made isn't viewed as being acceptable by the majority? All anonymously, given you can't see who thumbs up or down. 🤷‍♂️

The forums have always had an element of popularity. That'll never change, much like the ability to fab photos. But given there's no tracking data it couldn't be used to suck up to people or to alienate/isolate others based on their reaction.

To me it's nothing more than a sense check on how a comment is viewed by the forum community. It could be a really handy tool to drive more positive behaviours if people suddenly see that their comments aren't going down well.

So I'd love both the thumbs up AND the thumbs down to be shown. Just showing one seems pointless to me.

Obi"

Obi you absolutely nailed this. Bravo.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *alimaliWoman
2 weeks ago

end of my Tether


"https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/feedback/1835539

"Presently, only positive thumbs ups are counted/displayed while we gather data."

Yes. I've seen that. But why display the thumb down button at all if it doesn't do anything?"

But then perhaps it would flag it to admin if had a number of thumbs down?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *rYoniMan
2 weeks ago

Essex ++

I like it and personally look forward to getting lots of thumbs down. Will see it as a badge of honour for perhaps going against Forum consensus

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *rYoniMan
2 weeks ago

Essex ++


"https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/feedback/1835539

"Presently, only positive thumbs ups are counted/displayed while we gather data."

Yes. I've seen that. But why display the thumb down button at all if it doesn't do anything?

But then perhaps it would flag it to admin if had a number of thumbs down?"

Having lots of people disagreeing with you or not liking your post doesn't mean anything against rules in most cases of course.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
2 weeks ago

Gloucestershire


"I don't think it's a good idea. At all. The forums will become more of a popularity contest, the down thumbs is nonsense and open to abuse.

There are things within the forums that could do with a shake up and it's a shame that this is what admin has chosen to focus on."

I agree with this. Forums topics can often become very divisive and ‘popularity contests’.

This really isn’t going to help matters and I feel will stop people from commenting on threads.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *rYoniMan
2 weeks ago

Essex ++


"I don't think it's a good idea. At all. The forums will become more of a popularity contest, the down thumbs is nonsense and open to abuse.

There are things within the forums that could do with a shake up and it's a shame that this is what admin has chosen to focus on.

I agree with this. Forums topics can often become very divisive and ‘popularity contests’.

This really isn’t going to help matters and I feel will stop people from commenting on threads.

"

Think it might make some people comment more. They can get the little dopamine hit from a thumbs up (or even down). Lots of people see themselves outside the so called clique (imagined or not) and complain they don't get responses to posts - well they might well get a thumbs up or down as so much easier than writing a reply so more likely to feel part of things.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
2 weeks ago

Gloucestershire


"I don't think it's a good idea. At all. The forums will become more of a popularity contest, the down thumbs is nonsense and open to abuse.

There are things within the forums that could do with a shake up and it's a shame that this is what admin has chosen to focus on.

I agree with this. Forums topics can often become very divisive and ‘popularity contests’.

This really isn’t going to help matters and I feel will stop people from commenting on threads.

Think it might make some people comment more. They can get the little dopamine hit from a thumbs up (or even down). Lots of people see themselves outside the so called clique (imagined or not) and complain they don't get responses to posts - well they might well get a thumbs up or down as so much easier than writing a reply so more likely to feel part of things. "

Much easier that writing a reply = less comments and interactions on the threads

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *rYoniMan
2 weeks ago

Essex ++


"I don't think it's a good idea. At all. The forums will become more of a popularity contest, the down thumbs is nonsense and open to abuse.

There are things within the forums that could do with a shake up and it's a shame that this is what admin has chosen to focus on.

I agree with this. Forums topics can often become very divisive and ‘popularity contests’.

This really isn’t going to help matters and I feel will stop people from commenting on threads.

Think it might make some people comment more. They can get the little dopamine hit from a thumbs up (or even down). Lots of people see themselves outside the so called clique (imagined or not) and complain they don't get responses to posts - well they might well get a thumbs up or down as so much easier than writing a reply so more likely to feel part of things.

Much easier that writing a reply = less comments and interactions on the threads "

I think people who were going to write a reply will write one anyway. It is the people who won't write one who might give a thumbs up/down. It might well reduce the replies which were literally one word or one emoji which is probably not a bad thing.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By (user no longer on site)
2 weeks ago

"Presently, only positive thumbs ups are counted/displayed while we gather data."

.

I'm interested to know how accurate this data will be and if it will be a true reflection.

Currently the thumbs down function does nothing, now because of several threads forum users know this.

So chances are, they are not going to press it as it does nowt, they will only hit the thumbs up.

This may give Admin false data, that people do not give many thumbs down, so therefore it would be ok to show these numbers.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *eautyandthebeast86Couple
2 weeks ago

Somewhere in Norfolk ask :)

I think it’s a good idea because sometimes we have posted a topic and not had much in the way of a response and we always wonder if it’s actually something we have said or just not sitting with the forum well. A few thumbs up would at least indicate that someone at least agrees with, likes or understands our point of view depending on the subject etc.

I also think that sometimes especially a controversial post people might agree but not dare openly comment through fear of people blocking them or commenting back but a anonymous thumbs up means they can agree but not be seen

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *lassiccokeorpepsimaxCouple
2 weeks ago

Cardiff


"I don't think it's a good idea. At all. The forums will become more of a popularity contest, the down thumbs is nonsense and open to abuse.

There are things within the forums that could do with a shake up and it's a shame that this is what admin has chosen to focus on."

Agreed.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ophieslutTV/TS
2 weeks ago

Central

It's a great addition and hopefully it will result in a decrease of increasingly long copy and pasted threads that are just done so, for people to confirm their agreement. It will probably make threads become more readable.

It's great to have up and down signals, as it will give more of an all-round perspective.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *4bimMan
2 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire


"I don't think it's a good idea. At all. The forums will become more of a popularity contest, the down thumbs is nonsense and open to abuse.

There are things within the forums that could do with a shake up and it's a shame that this is what admin has chosen to focus on."

absolutely this.

if anything will stop people using the forum when they know any opinion the masses don like gets a down vote.

alienating people.simple as that.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ornucopiaMan
2 weeks ago

Bexley

Introducing it was not a good idea.

Fab' forum was also a lot better before it had smilies enabled. Posts are now riddled with the damned things.

Whin I first saw the up down thumbs under a post of mine, I thought I had accidentally it one of the damned things under the dialogue box.

Like that!

The other day I deliberately typed a ? mark inside brackets in a post and it came up with a stupid smiley.

Fab is ssuposed to be for adults, not juveniles.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *rYoniMan
2 weeks ago

Essex ++

Here is a different take perhaps. How about an thumbs up/down summary on profile much like veri summary?

One of the issues with Forum is a tiny percentage of Fab users look at it and an even tinier percentage make comments. I've met many people who didn't even know it existed.

If profiles had a summary of Forum up/down on profile so many people would see this and be drawn to the Forum. It would be good to get a lot of new people as at times it feels little insular and narrow on its take on swinging.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *its_and_TiramisuCouple
2 weeks ago

North Somerset


"Here is a different take perhaps. How about an thumbs up/down summary on profile much like veri summary?

One of the issues with Forum is a tiny percentage of Fab users look at it and an even tinier percentage make comments. I've met many people who didn't even know it existed.

If profiles had a summary of Forum up/down on profile so many people would see this and be drawn to the Forum. It would be good to get a lot of new people as at times it feels little insular and narrow on its take on swinging. "

I don't think personally a summary needs to go on a profile.

That plays more into the 'popularity contest' argument others have mentioned. It makes it personal, rather than anonymous as it presently is. Nobody knows who agrees/disagrees with a comment. There's no direct data linked to individuals as to how often people agree or disagree with them.

It's just a visible reaction to what someone has said at the time in a post.

Yes it would be great if more people used the forums. But for the right reason only. Not just because they thought it might boost their chances of being visible to others and that it was some kind of competition to get the most likes. People would just post what they thought would get a good recation, not what they truly think. I suspect that already happens and it doesn't need encouraging. 🤷‍♂️

Obi

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *rYoniMan
2 weeks ago

Essex ++


"Here is a different take perhaps. How about an thumbs up/down summary on profile much like veri summary?

One of the issues with Forum is a tiny percentage of Fab users look at it and an even tinier percentage make comments. I've met many people who didn't even know it existed.

If profiles had a summary of Forum up/down on profile so many people would see this and be drawn to the Forum. It would be good to get a lot of new people as at times it feels little insular and narrow on its take on swinging.

I don't think personally a summary needs to go on a profile.

That plays more into the 'popularity contest' argument others have mentioned. It makes it personal, rather than anonymous as it presently is. Nobody knows who agrees/disagrees with a comment. There's no direct data linked to individuals as to how often people agree or disagree with them.

It's just a visible reaction to what someone has said at the time in a post.

Yes it would be great if more people used the forums. But for the right reason only. Not just because they thought it might boost their chances of being visible to others and that it was some kind of competition to get the most likes. People would just post what they thought would get a good recation, not what they truly think. I suspect that already happens and it doesn't need encouraging. 🤷‍♂️

Obi"

Of course it doesn't "need" to go on a profile but just an idea to drive people to the Forum which is vastly underutlised. Yes downsides I agree but massive upside as well. Some people might come to Forum to be "popular" (although that happens already of course) but vast majority of new people coming would be coming because they have only just found out about it. I don't know what the numbers are but wouldn't surprise me if 95% of Fab users don't even really know it exists - my real life experience suggests something like that.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

2 weeks ago

O o O oo


"Introducing it was not a good idea.

Fab' forum was also a lot better before it had smilies enabled. Posts are now riddled with the damned things.

Whin I first saw the up down thumbs under a post of mine, I thought I had accidentally it one of the damned things under the dialogue box.

Like that!

The other day I deliberately typed a ? mark inside brackets in a post and it came up with a stupid smiley.

Fab is ssuposed to be for adults, not juveniles."

But what if sometimes us adults want to act like a juvenile and blow a raspberry at someone , we need an emoji

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *its_and_TiramisuCouple
2 weeks ago

North Somerset


"Here is a different take perhaps. How about an thumbs up/down summary on profile much like veri summary?

One of the issues with Forum is a tiny percentage of Fab users look at it and an even tinier percentage make comments. I've met many people who didn't even know it existed.

If profiles had a summary of Forum up/down on profile so many people would see this and be drawn to the Forum. It would be good to get a lot of new people as at times it feels little insular and narrow on its take on swinging.

I don't think personally a summary needs to go on a profile.

That plays more into the 'popularity contest' argument others have mentioned. It makes it personal, rather than anonymous as it presently is. Nobody knows who agrees/disagrees with a comment. There's no direct data linked to individuals as to how often people agree or disagree with them.

It's just a visible reaction to what someone has said at the time in a post.

Yes it would be great if more people used the forums. But for the right reason only. Not just because they thought it might boost their chances of being visible to others and that it was some kind of competition to get the most likes. People would just post what they thought would get a good recation, not what they truly think. I suspect that already happens and it doesn't need encouraging. 🤷‍♂️

Obi

Of course it doesn't "need" to go on a profile but just an idea to drive people to the Forum which is vastly underutlised. Yes downsides I agree but massive upside as well. Some people might come to Forum to be "popular" (although that happens already of course) but vast majority of new people coming would be coming because they have only just found out about it. I don't know what the numbers are but wouldn't surprise me if 95% of Fab users don't even really know it exists - my real life experience suggests something like that. "

I'd guess less than 1% of the site uses the forums. And to me that's fine. I personally prefer people to use it because they want to. Because they're interested in discussions and posting their thoughts.

Not because they see it as a potential boost to their chances of meets.

Some of the threads make me 🤮 on a regular basis. Of course anyone can post what they like within the rules and all threads won't be for all people. But much like status updates that say 'I need my balls draining' or 'who's gonna come and suck me off in my car tonight?', would it benefit the forums to have an influx of threads along those lines with 0 responses?

Think of the poor Fab servers....I'm sure they're overworked enough as it is. 🤷‍♂️😂

Obi

*PS - couldn't find a raspberry emoji so here's a 'blowing a strawberry' pair for Ruggers......🌬🍓

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *dwalu2Couple
2 weeks ago

Bristol


"I don't think it's a good idea. At all. The forums will become more of a popularity contest, the down thumbs is nonsense and open to abuse.

There are things within the forums that could do with a shake up and it's a shame that this is what admin has chosen to focus on."

Yes, agree completely. Pointless addition to a forum that would have seemed old fashioned twenty years ago.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

2 weeks ago

O o O oo


"

*PS - couldn't find a raspberry emoji so here's a 'blowing a strawberry' pair for Ruggers......🌬🍓"

Close enough, ta

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 
 

By (user no longer on site)
2 weeks ago

I've changed my mind

I want the thumbs down number shown 😁

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
Post new Message to Thread
back to top