Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swinging Club Discussion

How to get grant if not vat registered

Jump to newest

By *rcadian110 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Barnsley

I have friends that run a smaller club that took the decision to close a week before the government asked all the rest to.

As a growing club the don't make enough to be vat registered yet the criteria to claim the grants ask for the vat number first. How do they claim the grant for doing the right thing without a vat number. The satisfied all the other conditions and this is going to be a really hard time for them

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ildatheart6969Couple
over a year ago

Cheltenham

There are other grants available, for all types, ask a local accountant

By *ootleCouple
over a year ago

Romford, Essex

As far as I'm aware the grant (small business) is based on the rateable value of the property the business is registered at and operates from - its most probably the £10k grant so its not based on turnover or VAT- the .gov website only says your local authority who you pay your rates to will send you a letter if you are eligible. Apart from that there is no further information on the .gov website (as I said - as far as I'm aware).

Good luck.

By *ownhouseTwosomeCouple
over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

The grant has nothing to do with VAT, it's linked to business rates and you can register for VAT even if you haven't reached the VAT threshold. I think your friend needs to be more business savvy if she's going to survive as it's a minefield out there and the only way to get by is to stay one step ahead xx

over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"Business Savvy !!!!!

CHARGE MEMBERSHIP

You quoted you have 2,000 that you don't charge.

BUSINESS SAVVY !!!!"

Oh hello

Actually it's 25000 and we have not needed to charge memberships as people choose to come to us BECAUSE we don't charge memberships. For some clubs, an initial membership and an entry fee is too much to outlay for guests. So they choose us as it's an affordable option and we are busy most of the time because of this.

Business savvy

Mwah xx

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

I've deleted posts, back to the op please.

over a year ago

Barnsley

Thank you. I don't want this to turn into a slanging match.

Townhouse thanks once again for good advice. Shows that the clubs can look out for one another . This is why I love fab and clubs like this. We will definitely be visiting at some point as you support the community.

over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"Thank you. I don't want this to turn into a slanging match.

Townhouse thanks once again for good advice. Shows that the clubs can look out for one another . This is why I love fab and clubs like this. We will definitely be visiting at some point as you support the community. "

No probs. If your friend wants to email me, I'm happy to help further xx

By *ans123Couple
over a year ago

manchester

[Removed by poster at 26/03/20 10:35:57]

By *ans123Couple
over a year ago

manchester

"Business Savvy !!!!!

CHARGE MEMBERSHIP

BUSINESS SAVVY !!!!

Oh hello

Actually it's 25000 and we have not needed to charge memberships as people choose to come to us BECAUSE we don't charge memberships. For some clubs, an initial membership and an entry fee is too much to outlay for guests. So they choose us as it's an affordable option and we are busy most of the time because of this.

Business savvy

Mwah xx"

wow you sound a very busy club defo calling after all this is over hope they dont all call in at once phew

over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"Business Savvy !!!!!

CHARGE MEMBERSHIP

BUSINESS SAVVY !!!!

Oh hello

Business savvy

Mwah xx

wow you sound a very busy club defo calling after all this is over hope they dont all call in at once phew "

Oh my goodness, could you imagine?! This is 25000 over 15 years...about 12000 of these are couples. I'd say we have around 8000 active memberships with people joining all the time. The swinging community is very fluid and circumstances change constantly which affects who comes in.

You are very welcome to join us though

By *niquezCouple
over a year ago

Leicester

The HMRC website mentions nothing about being VAT registered.. here is the info from there...

Eligibility

You are eligible for the grant if:

your business is based in England

your business is in the retail, hospitality and/or leisure sector

your business has a rateable value of under £51,000

Businesses which don’t pay business rates are not included in this scheme.

Properties that will benefit from the relief will be occupied hereditaments that are wholly or mainly being used:

as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live music venues

for assembly and leisure

as hotels, guest and boarding premises and self-catering accommodation

Taken from,

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses

over a year ago

Barnsley

"The HMRC website mentions nothing about being VAT registered.. here is the info from there...

Eligibility

You are eligible for the grant if:

your business is based in England

your business is in the retail, hospitality and/or leisure sector

your business has a rateable value of under £51,000

Businesses which don’t pay business rates are not included in this scheme.

Properties that will benefit from the relief will be occupied hereditaments that are wholly or mainly being used:

as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live music venues

for assembly and leisure

as hotels, guest and boarding premises and self-catering accommodation

Taken from,

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses

"

They also say to check with local council. The Rotherham council site asks for you vat number first and won't let you submit the form without it. It's up to each council how they manage these grants and it seems like some are throwing up road blocks. The council have been trying to close this club down since it's opened as they hate the idea of a swingers club. The have been hassling them trying to make them quit. They are the only lisenced venue in Rotherham that I know that's been operating for 4 years and has never had to call the police out once. No ambulance calls. No resident anti social behaviour complaints. Yet this is the club they try to kill.

over a year ago

Barnsley

This is from the Rotherham council page

To complete your claim, you will need:

VAT Registration Number (As registered with HMRC - if you are VAT registered)

Company Number (As registered with Companies House - if you are registered on Companies House)

Business Rates Number

You will need your business rates account number to complete the form. If you don't know your account number, please call 01709 336055.

over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"

This is from the Rotherham council page

To complete your claim, you will need:

VAT Registration Number (As registered with HMRC - if you are VAT registered)

Company Number (As registered with Companies House - if you are registered on Companies House)

Business Rates Number

You will need your business rates account number to complete the form. If you don't know your account number, please call 01709 336055."

The big word here is IF. So it's not compulsory to have a VAT number or Companies House reg.

They are best calling the council office and hope for a kind customer service rep x

By *niquezCouple
over a year ago

Leicester

If they are trying to enforce you give a VAT number then they are clearly doing wrong and should be reported.

If a business is small enough to get the £10k grant then quite a few of them won't be registered for VAT anyway.

Post new Message to Thread