Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swinging Club Discussion

Swinging statistics

Jump to newest

By *itmanAndHerr OP   Couple
over a year ago

st helens

I've heard about 1 or 2 new clubs opening up in the Northwest and some new private parties.

Has anyone heard of clubs closing due to lack of demand?

Is the market growing?

Are we becoming more promiscuous as a society?

Are swinging and similar activities becoming trendy?

I can't find any recent 2015/2016 statistics.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *laytime 100Couple
over a year ago

Unfortunately some of our local clubs have closed over the last couple of years; Youtopia and Daniel House mainly due to a lack of numbers attending.

By *uckandbunnyCouple
over a year ago

In your bed

Tease 2?

Doncaster used to have a venue.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I've heard about 1 or 2 new clubs opening up in the Northwest and some new private parties.

Has anyone heard of clubs closing due to lack of demand?

Is the market growing?

Are we becoming more promiscuous as a society?

Are swinging and similar activities becoming trendy?

I can't find any recent 2015/2016 statistics."

I hear all the time that before the internet clubs were packed. Location is a big deal as well for clubs some have the monopoly being the only club within say a 30 mile radius.

over a year ago

I'm unsure if clubs would cite lack of attendance for closure so difficult to know. Impossible to gain statistics due to each club being an individual but if the forum PR spin doctors of some clubs are to be believed they are forever packed to the rafters in some clubs (strangely not when we've been though!)

Closures, all I can think of is the Unit in blackpool which I believe was due to leases however that was less swing and more get. Also Vivente in Sunderland. There was also one in Eccles area that was a massage parlour by day and swing event by weekend night, there were some posts on here about it and then the profile disappeared as quickly as it came around, can't remember the name.

over a year ago

"I'm unsure if clubs would cite lack of attendance for closure so difficult to know. Impossible to gain statistics due to each club being an individual but if the forum PR spin doctors of some clubs are to be believed they are forever packed to the rafters in some clubs (strangely not when we've been though!)

Closures, all I can think of is the Unit in blackpool which I believe was due to leases however that was less swing and more get. Also Vivente in Sunderland. There was also one in Eccles area that was a massage parlour by day and swing event by weekend night, there were some posts on here about it and then the profile disappeared as quickly as it came around, can't remember the name."

Fet not get

over a year ago

st helens

"I'm unsure if clubs would cite lack of attendance for closure so difficult to know. Impossible to gain statistics due to each club being an individual but if the forum PR spin doctors of some clubs are to be believed they are forever packed to the rafters in some clubs (strangely not when we've been though!)

Closures, all I can think of is the Unit in blackpool which I believe was due to leases however that was less swing and more get. Also Vivente in Sunderland. There was also one in Eccles area that was a massage parlour by day and swing event by weekend night, there were some posts on here about it and then the profile disappeared as quickly as it came around, can't remember the name.

Fet not get "

Sounds like the same spin doctors that promote standard club nights.

I get the impression people are prepared to travel further for a swing club than they would for a normal night out, which is understandable.

I've got this idea that Brits are becoming less prudish and therefore more people venturing into the scene. I'm surprised the clubs were more full before the Internet. I'd of thought it would of been the other way around.

It's one thing to arrange a meeting with someone but for some reason I'm imagining for the average swinger a club full of like minded people would be much more enticing.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I wish someone would open a club in Brighton.

over a year ago

st helens

"Unfortunately some of our local clubs have closed over the last couple of years; Youtopia and Daniel House mainly due to a lack of numbers attending."

How long were these clubs going?

In Manchester there's around 4 clubs in 1 square mile. Seems like overkill to me but they seem to be managing. Although I don't know this from experience. I haven't been to any of them.

By *ownhouseTwosomeCouple
over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

[Removed by poster at 24/01/17 16:58:31]

over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

If I'm completely honest, clubs are a lot quieter on the whole than they were say 5 years ago. We have busy nights and quiet nights, but we are lucky because we are not surrounded by other clubs. But I know that there are some out there that are struggling but I'm not in the habit of sharing that sort of info.

We have far too many clubs in the NW area now really to be busy all the time. When Townhouse first opened nearly 12 years ago, there were just a few clubs and all did well. Now the number has doubled and the number of private parties has gone through the roof!

I am well known for my views on regular private parties that charge and don't declare their earnibgs. Running a club is feckin expensive and our overheads run into several thousand a month. To be viable, we have to get the people in and this is why you get the clubs advertising like mad in the forums...because we have a LOT of competition now.

Believe me, if I could drop the hours I spend on here and just open my doors and wait for the coach loads to come in, I would. But we are literally fighting for business in the NW area.

I think you will find clubs closing or reducing opening hours over the next couple of years as they can't afford to stay open all the time.

The old adage of use it or lose it will apply and I'm sure people will moan when it happens.

Support your clubs. Fly your flag for your favourites. Give your hard earned cash to guys who pay taxes, provide a bloody good service and contribute hugely to the swinging community.

Xxx

By *laytime 100Couple
over a year ago

"Unfortunately some of our local clubs have closed over the last couple of years; Youtopia and Daniel House mainly due to a lack of numbers attending.

In Manchester there's around 4 clubs in 1 square mile. Seems like overkill to me but they seem to be managing. Although I don't know this from experience. I haven't been to any of them."

Youtopia had been going over 8 years. Danil House nearly 2.

over a year ago

"Unfortunately some of our local clubs have closed over the last couple of years; Youtopia and Daniel House mainly due to a lack of numbers attending.

In Manchester there's around 4 clubs in 1 square mile. Seems like overkill to me but they seem to be managing. Although I don't know this from experience. I haven't been to any of them."

They aren't that close, only one central and the rest all in the suburbs as it were. All very different too in our opinion, even though probably look similar on paper. I can understand why some love and hate different ones.

By *laytime 100Couple
over a year ago

"If I'm completely honest, clubs are a lot quieter on the whole than they were say 5 years ago. We have busy nights and quiet nights, but we are lucky because we are not surrounded by other clubs. But I know that there are some out there that are struggling but I'm not in the habit of sharing that sort of info.

We have far too many clubs in the NW area now really to be busy all the time. When Townhouse first opened nearly 12 years ago, there were just a few clubs and all did well. Now the number has doubled and the number of private parties has gone through the roof!

I am well known for my views on regular private parties that charge and don't declare their earnibgs. Running a club is feckin expensive and our overheads run into several thousand a month. To be viable, we have to get the people in and this is why you get the clubs advertising like mad in the forums...because we have a LOT of competition now.

Believe me, if I could drop the hours I spend on here and just open my doors and wait for the coach loads to come in, I would. But we are literally fighting for business in the NW area.

I think you will find clubs closing or reducing opening hours over the next couple of years as they can't afford to stay open all the time.

The old adage of use it or lose it will apply and I'm sure people will moan when it happens.

Support your clubs. Fly your flag for your favourites. Give your hard earned cash to guys who pay taxes, provide a bloody good service and contribute hugely to the swinging community.

Xxx"

over a year ago

st helens

"If I'm completely honest, clubs are a lot quieter on the whole than they were say 5 years ago. We have busy nights and quiet nights, but we are lucky because we are not surrounded by other clubs. But I know that there are some out there that are struggling but I'm not in the habit of sharing that sort of info.

Xxx"

Thanks for that response. Very informative.

By *ethnmelvCouple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

Xxx"

spot on! for a great night out the costs are pretty low and the fun usually high! we still have to make the journey up to see you one day

By *tasiaCouple
over a year ago

West Bromwich

We'd agree totally with Townhouse feelings on this one. I've been watching clubs most of the 30 plus years I've been involved with the scene and the number of clubs has slowly grown, some coming and going quickly, others taking slightly longer to vanish, but a number making it through the first 10 years and now serious players in the scene. Most of those who came and went ran into difficulties with leases, or as others have stated, numbers. A few have had, and some continue to have, difficulties with the law or councils, never an easy one to win. Others do things at the edge of the law, and most seem to get away with it. Often the problem with a new club is getting it known quickly amongst the possible punters, if you can't do that, you'll fail pretty quickly. Also opening in a saturated area is never wise, as I'm sure TH would agree with. There are just too many people out there who count the numbers through a door, multiply it with the admission charge and think Wow, what a living....totally forgetting the massive overheads that go with it, as well as time and energy. If you think it's easy, give it a go. Let us all know how you get on,

By *rummiePartyManMan
over a year ago

birmingham

Clubs that have been and gone in the Midlands...

Utopia, Fontana Amorosa, Casablanca, Tudor Lounge, XL, and one in Barnt Green whose name escapes me.

That said there have also been others that go through owners at a rapid ratge of knots. Before Liberty Elite became what it is now, it had several previous owners, was known as Liberation, and before that, the Moorbarns.

Some owners seem to think that where there's sex, there's money to be made. These tend to be the ones that come and go. Those owners who look after their members and clientelle are the ones who last the distance.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Xxx"

Great clubs are definitely worth the money. I think the OP is right that people are willing to travel further for a swinging night out rather than a vanilla one.

over a year ago

st helens

"We'd agree totally with Townhouse feelings on this one. I've been watching clubs most of the 30 plus years I've been involved with the scene and the number of clubs has slowly grown, some coming and going quickly, others taking slightly longer to vanish, but a number making it through the first 10 years and now serious players in the scene. Most of those who came and went ran into difficulties with leases, or as others have stated, numbers. A few have had, and some continue to have, difficulties with the law or councils, never an easy one to win. Others do things at the edge of the law, and most seem to get away with it. Often the problem with a new club is getting it known quickly amongst the possible punters, if you can't do that, you'll fail pretty quickly. Also opening in a saturated area is never wise, as I'm sure TH would agree with. There are just too many people out there who count the numbers through a door, multiply it with the admission charge and think Wow, what a living....totally forgetting the massive overheads that go with it, as well as time and energy. If you think it's easy, give it a go. Let us all know how you get on, "

I certainly don't imagine it's easy and I've no intention of giving it a go. I'm happy to leave the obviously cut throat business to the experts.

I'm just interested in what people think the trend and direction is for the scene

By *tasiaCouple
over a year ago

West Bromwich

Certain trend you can see is the fact that it's all easier and more open now. Just as gay fun was underground 30 years ago but is accepted now, swing 15 years ago was back pages of magazines with only a few hidden clubs, now folks openly chatting about it in pubs with friends and a club in every city. I for one can remember a SAE with every meet attempt, but then I'm just old

By *aveandkate35Couple
over a year ago

telford

Regarding the money - I looked at _tasia and Chams, and did the figures in my head and to be honest, I came up with the opinion that I hope we don't lose these clubs as I think they would be incredibly difficult to get going and be financially viable if doing from scratch. So agree with townhouse - support your local clubs!!

As for the numbers - I noticed a decline over the last 5 years, however the last time we visited a club it was really busy - back to the levels of 5 years ago.

This could be due to lots of things - the smaller clubs shutting down and customers edging their bets in the larger ones. Or just down to people feeling a bit wealthier again. I don't know - but hope it continues.

I personally think the swinging market will grow rapidly over the next 10-15 years as it becomes more socially acceptable, but there is still a long way to go.

Time will tell I guess.

D

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Maybe the growth of fab could be detrimental to clubs? If people can make contact with each other on here, and meet privately, perhaps there is less need to meet people at clubs?

Just a theory?

over a year ago

"

I personally think the swinging market will grow rapidly over the next 10-15 years as it becomes more socially acceptable, but there is still a long way to go.

Time will tell I guess.

D"

Some really good points and agree that the next decade will see the scene become more mainstream especially as the youth of today don't have the inherent guilt that was thrust upon people 20 years ago.

Just like the rave scene was underground and word of mouth or phone boxes and a call to the next destination to todays super star DJs producing amazing music from a laptop at home, times are changing and changing fast. The real challenge for survival is to provide a club that doesn't just cater for regulars hankering for the good old days but providing the young and hungry clientele of tomorrow with a new but just as exciting place to be...

xx

over a year ago

"Maybe the growth of fab could be detrimental to clubs? If people can make contact with each other on here, and meet privately, perhaps there is less need to meet people at clubs?

Just a theory? "

The Internet certainly has played a part in giving people contact between others for free and instantly, the need to go to a club just to be able to socialise when you can do it on your fone and be in contact with such a vast demographic, even in different countrys, means less need to go to a particular place to meet people in clandestine locations...

xx

By *aradise_BlackpoolCouple
over a year ago

Lancs

"Maybe the growth of fab could be detrimental to clubs? If people can make contact with each other on here, and meet privately, perhaps there is less need to meet people at clubs?

Just a theory? "

A good debate on Swinging clubs and great input from Xtasia & Townhouse, although we are not a club, we are similar. The question, is Fab detrimental to clubs? we would say not at all, Fab is in our opinion one of the biggest generators of business in the scene. Most weekends 90-95% of our customers are on Fab or have found us through Fab. Very little comes from the dozens of other swinging sites, 5-10% through our website, Fab i think the clubs would agree is growing daily and not to be ignored. xx Sonia

By *nly the brave.Man
over a year ago

bolton

Xxx"

Couldn't agree more and having worked in clubs and hosted events at others the owners work dam hard to provide an environment for us all to express ourselves. We are fortunate to have so many good clubs in this country and esp in the north west the ones that are run correctly will survive,

over a year ago

st helens

Just a theory? "

I don't imagine it being detrimental. More about gauge to how the scene is doing?

Surely Fab is a great online hub for clubs and parties.

I know someone said clubs were busier before the Internet but I just can't imagine clubs or parties being happy if Fab dissappeared.

It's encouraging to see people believe theverything scene is set to grow.

over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

[Removed by poster at 25/01/17 09:29:07]

over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

Fab....some clubs love it. Some clubs hate it. My opinion, I will keep to myself.

Basically, clubs bring a lot of people to Fab. New members that walk through our door get an 'Are you on Fab' chat and we direct them over. I would say, out of say 100 new customers, 75% are NOT on Fab before they meet us. However, I don't feel that the contribution that clubs bring to Fab is recognised. But that is an argument for another thread.

Fab is a hub for swingers to find parties and create parties, whether that be in a club or a private party. So I do feel that clubs gain a lot of customers from Fab. However, I also know an awful lot of people who have left Fab now and use our own social media presence, which is vast, to find out what is going on.

Clubs have suffered since private parties can advertise so widely online as they can often be a cheaper option (they don't have the overheads) and they can be tailored to friends only. However, I try and see it as a positive as also means that swingers come together and can help spread the word about their wonderful club experiences too.

Competition between clubs, the vast amount of choice open to swingers now, private parties, Fab and the current financial climate has affected numbers. I remember when the tax rate went upto 20%...punters don't think about our huge overheads going up by 2.5%; over a month, that is a massive amount of money, yet I don't know any club that would have dared put their entrance fees up by 2.5%! We have had to absorb that additional expense.

I feel like I'm moaning, but actually what I am doing is highlighting our reality and detailing why clubs should be supported more and why you will see some close/reduce opening hours.

We have such a job on our hands...we are a business..a cut throat business at times, yet we must run our clubs in a way that they don't appear like businesses.

We know from personal experience that Fab is a necessary tool in our box of markteting tricks. Love it or hate it, it is useful and helps our customers find us

By *urplace4funWoman
over a year ago

London

"Clubs have suffered since private parties can advertise so widely online as they can often be a cheaper option (they don't have the overheads) "

And they use clubs to poach their Customers , They can also Unfairly Hide untoward comments if they have Bad Feedback from any of their Events as these are often left as verification's or sent as PM's

If they are known Private Party Promoters on FABS "Charging for Events" why not have a separate Feedback Forum as in "A private Party Review Section" so that attending persons can Positively or Negatively Review those just like the Club Section.

Its very one sided as those Private Promoters become Exempt from Criticism Due to Board Rules, whereby No one is able to Name and Shame,(excluding the club review section No Rules there apparently) we get late night customers arriving and moaning about a Private event they attended that failed to meet any Any Expectations.

Of course they don't repeat their experience, with the same Promoters.

But unsuspecting new comers are not forewarned, they simply must rely on Party Promoters friends lists comments and we all know Manipulation of Same is a Natural Design Fault Katey

over a year ago

st helens

Sounds like the scene is growing but supply is outweighing demand.

I think the suggestion of a private party section in the forum is a good idea.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"

Are you talking regular Nightclubs?

over a year ago

st helens

"

In Manchester there's around 4 clubs in 1 square mile. Seems like overkill to me but they seem to be managing. Although I don't know this from experience. I haven't been to any of them.

Are you talking regular Nightclubs?"

I think I got that very wrong.

Would it be closer to the mark if I said 4 or 5 regular clubs within the m60 ring road or central Manchester?

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

We have been going to Clubs for around 12 years and our opinion is that some Clubs and Owners have upped their game and as a result those Clubs are busier now than they were a decade ago.

We have noticed that some clubs just about get by, whereas those that make an effort seem to be busier than ever.

It's alright to say support your local Club but we would no longer go to any Club where the owner has not changed with the times.

It is not hard to work out which Clubs make this effort by reading the reviews on here.

over a year ago

"

Would it be closer to the mark if I said 4 or 5 regular clubs within the m60 ring road or central Manchester? "

There is 1 in Manchester. The others are Eccles, Swinton, Rochdale, Bury. Not within the M60 but all within half hour drive of city... ish and not far from the M60. Eg I think rochdale is 2 junctions on m62 from the m60. Similar for swinton

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"

Would it be closer to the mark if I said 4 or 5 regular clubs within the m60 ring road or central Manchester? "

Cupids is in Swinton

Partners is in Bury

Amour is in Manchester

No3 is in Chorley

There used to be a Club in Rochdale, but not sure if it is still around.

We have been to all apart from Amour but only now go back to No3 because of the efforts made by the owners to look after the place and keep up with the times.

By *rummiePartyManMan
over a year ago

birmingham

Just a theory? "

Fabs, and the other sites like it are certainly the reason why "Rendezvous" and "Forum" magazines would struggle, as they all serve the same purpose, just one's online and the other two are on paper. (anyone remember these magazines?

As for the internet generally, with the number of scams going around, I wonder how many people are put off the scene altogether. With Rendezvous (etc) in the olden days, you knew what you were getting. £5 bought you the magazine, and you wrote (remember writing? lol) or you didn't...nowadays, you are tempted by free membership, but it's £xx.xx if you want to send messages to all those people stacking up in your inbox, and it's £yy.yy if you want to video chat, and it goes on and on, only for the gullable to find that the people messaging them in their inbox that they can reply to are fakes, leaving a bad taste about the whole thing.

By *rummiePartyManMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"

Would it be closer to the mark if I said 4 or 5 regular clubs within the m60 ring road or central Manchester?

Cupids is in Swinton

Partners is in Bury

Amour is in Manchester

No3 is in Chorley

We have been to all apart from Amour but only now go back to No3 because of the efforts made by the owners to look after the place and keep up with the times."

Add Adam & Eves to the list...

And to think that "The Boardroom", "Connections" "Xanadu" have all been and gone over the years.

Manchester has one of the more mature swingers clubs scenes. I can remember before Chameleons and Xtasia, the nearest club to Birmingham was in Manchester. In those days it was either A & E or The Boardroom.

I wonder how much is down to the owner / front of house staff? Manchester had a Scottish guy, some years back (Jim?) who ran The Boardroom, then somewhere else (the name escapes me) then Connections (just off Ashton Old Road, in Openshaw - I think). He would open a club, run it, sell it, move on to the next one, taking his customers with him as he went.

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

Cupids is in Swinton

Partners is in Bury

Amour is in Manchester

No3 is in Chorley

We have been to all apart from Amour but only now go back to No3 because of the efforts made by the owners to look after the place and keep up with the times.

And to think that "The Boardroom", "Connections" "Xanadu" have all been and gone over the years.

Manchester has one of the more mature swingers clubs scenes. I can remember before Chameleons and Xtasia, the nearest club to Birmingham was in Manchester. In those days it was either A & E or The Boardroom.

I wonder how much is down to the owner / front of house staff? Manchester had a Scottish guy, some years back (Jim?) who ran The Boardroom, then somewhere else (the name escapes me) then Connections (just off Ashton Old Road, in Openshaw - I think). He would open a club, run it, sell it, move on to the next one, taking his customers with him as he went."

Wow! Some blasts from the past in there.

Adam & Eve was the first club I ever visited. I'd been doing a bit of dating using the Loot Ad's (remember them?) and a couple contacted me and asked if I would meet them in a swinger club. WTF is a swinger club? I asked. Needless to say I soon found out. That was back in the late 80's and it was owned by Dave & Sue who later went on to open Cupids. I remember an Irish guy (Tony?) on the door. I'm pretty sure that the A&E was Britain's first ever swinger club, it's certainly the oldest one still in existence.

The Boardroom It just had to be the worst dive you could imagine as a club but I loved the place. Anyone remember the rickety old train carriage connection that joined the two buildings? LOL. I always thought the owner was called Billy, he used to have a room kitted out as his boxing gym. Had some great nights in there and it was the first club I ever went to as a couple with an ex FB and had my first couple/couple swap there.

The club in the centre of Rochdale was/is called Liasons, is it still open? Used to go there a lot in the late 90's early 2000's

Only went to Xanadu once and didn't really like the place GF at the time hated it.

We went to another club around the Ashton Old Road area but I can't remember the name and we only went once. Connections does ring a bell though.

Used to go to Cupids a lot with my Ex in the days of Mary & Glenn (No 3 club now I believe) and did Partners a few times as well.

By *inderellaRockerfellazCouple
over a year ago

warrington

"We have been going to Clubs for around 12 years and our opinion is that some Clubs and Owners have upped their game and as a result those Clubs are busier now than they were a decade ago.

We have noticed that some clubs just about get by, whereas those that make an effort seem to be busier than ever.

It's alright to say support your local Club but we would no longer go to any Club where the owner has not changed with the times.

It is not hard to work out which Clubs make this effort by reading the reviews on here. "

By *ackwithabang2000Couple
over a year ago

Stoke

"

Cupids is in Swinton

Partners is in Bury

Amour is in Manchester

No3 is in Chorley

I wonder how much is down to the owner / front of house staff? Manchester had a Scottish guy, some years back (Jim?) who ran The Boardroom, then somewhere else (the name escapes me) then Connections (just off Ashton Old Road, in Openshaw - I think). He would open a club, run it, sell it, move on to the next one, taking his customers with him as he went.

Adam & Eve was the first club I ever visited. I'd been doing a bit of dating using the Loot Ad's (remember them?) and a couple contacted me and asked if I would meet them in a swinger club. WTF is a swinger club? I asked. Needless to say I soon found out. That was back in the late 80's and it was owned by Dave & Sue who later went on to open Cupids. I remember an Irish guy (Tony?) on the door. I'm pretty sure that the A&E was Britain's first ever swinger club, it's certainly the oldest one still in existence.

The Boardroom It just had to be the worst dive you could imagine as a club but I loved the place. Anyone remember the rickety old train carriage connection that joined the two buildings? LOL. I always thought the owner was called Billy, he used to have a room kitted out as his boxing gym. Had some great nights in there and it was the first club I ever went to as a couple with an ex FB and had my first couple/couple swap there.

The club in the centre of Rochdale was/is called Liasons, is it still open? Used to go there a lot in the late 90's early 2000's

Only went to Xanadu once and didn't really like the place GF at the time hated it.

We went to another club around the Ashton Old Road area but I can't remember the name and we only went once. Connections does ring a bell though.

Used to go to Cupids a lot with my Ex in the days of Mary & Glenn (No 3 club now I believe) and did Partners a few times as well."

La chambre in Sheffield claims to be the oldest club in the country...

over a year ago

"

Cupids is in Swinton

Partners is in Bury

Amour is in Manchester

No3 is in Chorley

We have been to all apart from Amour but only now go back to No3 because of the efforts made by the owners to look after the place and keep up with the times."

Amour is the only club in Manchester then

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

Cupids is in Swinton

Partners is in Bury

Amour is in Manchester

No3 is in Chorley

Used to go to Cupids a lot with my Ex in the days of Mary & Glenn (No 3 club now I believe) and did Partners a few times as well.

La chambre in Sheffield claims to be the oldest club in the country... "

I know La Chambre has been open for many years so I suppose it could be.

However I can personally date the A&E as far back as 1988 and I think it had been going for at least a year or two before that.

So anyone know when La Chambre opened?

By *heRainManMan
over a year ago

Warrington & Glasgow

"So anyone know when La Chambre opened? "
The FAQ page on their web site says
"We have been open for twelve years"
and I first went to A & E a LOT longer ago than that!

By *rummiePartyManMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"

So anyone know when La Chambre opened? "

I was told about the opening of La Chambre by someone I knew in the days when Xtasia was run in a hotel function room in Bromsgrove. So how many years ago was that? Bear in mind that before Bromsgrove, Xtasia (but not by that club name) was run in a function room in a wine bar in Kidderminster. And before that was started A&E & The Boardroom were already in full swing, so I suspect that La Chambre's claims to be the oldest swingers club may be a little optimistic.

By *heRainManMan
over a year ago

Warrington & Glasgow

"The FAQ page on their web site says We have been open for twelve years "
but their as-seen-on-tv page says they were a filming location for Local Hero, which was released in 1983, so both pages can't be right!

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

I was told about the opening of La Chambre by someone I knew in the days when Xtasia was run in a hotel function room in Bromsgrove. So how many years ago was that? Bear in mind that before Bromsgrove, Xtasia (but not by that club name) was run in a function room in a wine bar in Kidderminster. And before that was started A&E & The Boardroom were already in full swing, so I suspect that La Chambre's claims to be the oldest swingers club may be a little optimistic. "

Yes. that is what I was thinking.

Back to the OP.

I just did a quick reckon up and we've been to 36 clubs in five countries.

Four of those have now closed.

In my previous life in the UK I could count ten clubs that I had been to of which three have closed.

However just in our area of Germany I can think of at least five new ones in the last few years.

Also compared to when I lived in the UK there is a much wider choice these days. So overall I think the scene is growing.

over a year ago

Stoke

"Clubs that have been and gone in the Midlands...

Utopia, Fontana Amorosa, Casablanca, Tudor Lounge, XL, and one in Barnt Green whose name escapes me.

That said there have also been others that go through owners at a rapid ratge of knots. Before Liberty Elite became what it is now, it had several previous owners, was known as Liberation, and before that, the Moorbarns.

Some owners seem to think that where there's sex, there's money to be made. These tend to be the ones that come and go. Those owners who look after their members and clientelle are the ones who last the distance."

Other clubs in the Midlands to close for one reason or another include adventures in Stoke-on-Trent and there was a club Coventry way called ceasers I believe in Balsall common (although went never went that one)

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"The FAQ page on their web site says We have been open for twelve years but their as-seen-on-tv page says they were a filming location for Local Hero, which was released in 1983, so both pages can't be right!"

I've never seen Local Hero but it was set and mostly filmed in Scotland.

I doubt that the plot would have featured a swinger club so maybe it was just the building (as it was then) that appeared in shot.

over a year ago

"

The club in the centre of Rochdale was/is called Liasons, is it still open?"

There is a "new liasons" in Rochdale, never been but was looking at reviews recently and seems to still be active. Also never spoken to anyone who has been either.

There is also Decadance in Rochdale which I have been to and it's really nicely done. Of the club's in the NW we've tried it is probably our second fave behind No 3.

By *heRainManMan
over a year ago

Warrington & Glasgow

"I've never seen Local Hero but it was set and mostly filmed in Scotland.

I doubt that the plot would have featured a swinger club so maybe it was just the building (as it was then) that appeared in shot."

I have seen it and I'll need to watch it again, but IMBD only lists locations in Scotland and Houston

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"

Cupids is in Swinton

Partners is in Bury

Amour is in Manchester

No3 is in Chorley

Compared with some areas of the country, the clubs listed are "just around the corner" from each other! Here in Dorset, if you want a decent club where there`s a good spread of people you have to drive at least 100+ miles to the London area or 150+miles to the West Midlands! Goodness how much further it is if you live in Devon or even Cornwall!

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

Cupids is in Swinton

Partners is in Bury

Amour is in Manchester

No3 is in Chorley

Compared with some areas of the country, the clubs listed are "just around the corner" from each other! Here in Dorset, if you want a decent club where there`s a good spread of people you have to drive at least 100+ miles to the London area or 150+miles to the West Midlands! Goodness how much further it is if you live in Devon or even Cornwall! "

Best move to our area of Germany then.

We have 20 within 50 kms of our house.

over a year ago

Stoke

All this reminiscing about bygone clubs is making us sound like right old gits

over a year ago

st helens

"

I was told about the opening of La Chambre by someone I knew in the days when Xtasia was run in a hotel function room in Bromsgrove. So how many years ago was that? Bear in mind that before Bromsgrove, Xtasia (but not by that club name) was run in a function room in a wine bar in Kidderminster. And before that was started A&E & The Boardroom were already in full swing, so I suspect that La Chambre's claims to be the oldest swingers club may be a little optimistic.

Back to the OP.

In my previous life in the UK I could count ten clubs that I had been to of which three have closed.

However just in our area of Germany I can think of at least five new ones in the last few years.

Also compared to when I lived in the UK there is a much wider choice these days. So overall I think the scene is growing. "

Without getting into a Brexit conversation, I'd love to think we were going in the direction of the Europeans. I spent 5 years in Germany and as much as British think the Germans are boring, they are certainly more sexually liberated than the UK.

over a year ago

st helens

"

Cupids is in Swinton

Partners is in Bury

Amour is in Manchester

No3 is in Chorley

Compared with some areas of the country, the clubs listed are "just around the corner" from each other! Here in Dorset, if you want a decent club where there`s a good spread of people you have to drive at least 100+ miles to the London area or 150+miles to the West Midlands! Goodness how much further it is if you live in Devon or even Cornwall!

Best move to our area of Germany then.

We have 20 within 50 kms of our house. "

Where in Germany are you?

By *exWithThePrettyCouple
over a year ago

Ilford

"but if the forum PR spin doctors of some clubs are to be believed they are forever packed to the rafters in some clubs (strangely not when we've been though!"

Same here, we're not regular club-attendees but when we have been they haven't been exactly heaving. It always seems to be a 'quiet night tonight'. After last Saturday we've decided that we'll only go to a local club we know as travelling to a distant club & paying for overnight accommodation can be pretty expensive & not a little disappointing when nothing 'exciting' happens.

It's not sour grapes though, perhaps we're not ideally suited to the etiquette....lol

Tanya would prefer that a guy caught her eye, walk up, tell her how nice she looks & put his hand up her skirt instead of just hovering around.

She says that would be so much more naughty & exciting. She's not one for a lot of small talk, "we all know why we're here so let's just get on with it".

Of course, you can understand why people are reluctant to do that, even in a swinging club. A look can be mis-interpreted & there have to be rules for respect & decency. Still, it does seem to be the case that there are groups of regulars socialising/playing & newer/shyer couples on the edges waiting for someone to make a move. Also understandable but it would be better in a busy enviroment which so far, we seem to have missed. Oh well....

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

Back to the OP.

Also compared to when I lived in the UK there is a much wider choice these days. So overall I think the scene is growing.

Without getting into a Brexit conversation, I'd love to think we were going in the direction of the Europeans. I spent 5 years in Germany and as much as British think the Germans are boring, they are certainly more sexually liberated than the UK."

We are in Recklinghausen (NRW) which is pretty much bang in the middle of Germany's most densely populated area.

Essen, Dortmund, and Dusseldorf are all under an hours drive and Cologne isn't much further.

Funnily enough though there are not many clubs in the city centres. Most are either well out in the suburbs or in smaller towns and villages.

I would agree that the Europeans are much more relaxed about sex and swinging. We like the club scene and here it is huge.

The site we use here allows, actually encourages, pre registration to club nights so you can see how many and who are going to be there. Premium members even get a discount on the admission in most (hint to FAB )

I've just had a quick look at this coming Saturday and just in our area there are over 1500 people registered to various club nights. Some of the bigger clubs have well over 200 registrations.

This weekend we are out on Sunday. On the first Sunday of every month one of our local clubs does a Herrenuberschuss party (HU for short) which pretty much translates to a surplus of single guys. The event is always sold out at around 300 people of which around 100 will be single guys. Needless to say, Mrs always looks forward to this one.

Also in Germany are the FKK (naturist) sauna clubs. You have to be careful though. Some are brothels and others are 100% naturist (no sex) Many of the later ones are actually owned by the local town hall and are part of the local swimming pool complex, so no sex really means no sex.

Could anyone imagine a UK town hall owning and running a naturist sauna? LOL.

over a year ago

"but if the forum PR spin doctors of some clubs are to be believed they are forever packed to the rafters in some clubs (strangely not when we've been though!

Same here, we're not regular club-attendees but when we have been they haven't been exactly heaving. It always seems to be a 'quiet night tonight'. After last Saturday we've decided that we'll only go to a local club we know as travelling to a distant club & paying for overnight accommodation can be pretty expensive & not a little disappointing when nothing 'exciting' happens.

It's not sour grapes though, perhaps we're not ideally suited to the etiquette....lol

Tanya would prefer that a guy caught her eye, walk up, tell her how nice she looks & put his hand up her skirt instead of just hovering around.

She says that would be so much more naughty & exciting. She's not one for a lot of small talk, "we all know why we're here so let's just get on with it".

Of course, you can understand why people are reluctant to do that, even in a swinging club. A look can be mis-interpreted & there have to be rules for respect & decency. Still, it does seem to be the case that there are groups of regulars socialising/playing & newer/shyer couples on the edges waiting for someone to make a move. Also understandable but it would be better in a busy enviroment which so far, we seem to have missed. Oh well.... "

Ladies don't need to wait for a man to get the action going - we find it works best for us if the lady indicates early on in the conversation which men/couples she is interested in! m x

over a year ago

Ilford

"Ladies don't need to wait for a man to get the action going - we find it works best for us if the lady indicates early on in the conversation which men/couples she is interested in! m x"

Yes, but Tanya wants the guy to instigate the action as that further adds to the naughtiness.

She likes to feel as naughty as possible.

We may be hoping for too much... lol

over a year ago

st helens

"

Back to the OP.

Without getting into a Brexit conversation, I'd love to think we were going in the direction of the Europeans. I spent 5 years in Germany and as much as British think the Germans are boring, they are certainly more sexually liberated than the UK.

We are in Recklinghausen (NRW) which is pretty much bang in the middle of Germany's most densely populated area.

Essen, Dortmund, and Dusseldorf are all under an hours drive and Cologne isn't much further.

Funnily enough though there are not many clubs in the city centres. Most are either well out in the suburbs or in smaller towns and villages.

I would agree that the Europeans are much more relaxed about sex and swinging. We like the club scene and here it is huge.

The site we use here allows, actually encourages, pre registration to club nights so you can see how many and who are going to be there. Premium members even get a discount on the admission in most (hint to FAB )

I've just had a quick look at this coming Saturday and just in our area there are over 1500 people registered to various club nights. Some of the bigger clubs have well over 200 registrations.

This weekend we are out on Sunday. On the first Sunday of every month one of our local clubs does a Herrenuberschuss party (HU for short) which pretty much translates to a surplus of single guys. The event is always sold out at around 300 people of which around 100 will be single guys. Needless to say, Mrs always looks forward to this one.

Also in Germany are the FKK (naturist) sauna clubs. You have to be careful though. Some are brothels and others are 100% naturist (no sex) Many of the later ones are actually owned by the local town hall and are part of the local swimming pool complex, so no sex really means no sex.

Could anyone imagine a UK town hall owning and running a naturist sauna? LOL. "

I know Dortmund and Dusseldorf. I lived in Krefeld and Munchengladbach for 5 years. Good times.

By *ffanotdykeCouple
over a year ago

Salop

We have been following this item with interest as we have been swinging together for about 12 years and we have seen the ebbs and flows of swinging activity.

From our observations there appears to be roughly two demographic groupings.

The under 30's, no house/no kids who are mainly around at weekends. Drinking/chatting/dancing seem to be the main areas of interest.

Then there are the over 45's, with house/kids, limited on time but focused on what they want from a swinging club ie. direct action with others.

Successful clubs such as Xtasia and Chameleons have recognised these differences and have tailored their acts to cater for the clientele. Both clubs appear to have the resources to ride out the quiet periods but other smaller clubs unless adequately resourced or who serve a niche market are always going to struggle.

The get rich quick operators who organise "private parties" in private houses advertised through sites such as this but make an entry charge particularly for single guys are doing no service to the whole swinging scene.

Our advice would always be. Support your local well run, safe, local club and enjoy the freedom and excitement the lifestyle allows.

over a year ago

Ilford

"We have been following this item with interest as we have been swinging together for about 12 years and we have seen the ebbs and flows of swinging activity.

From our observations there appears to be roughly two demographic groupings.

The under 30's, no house/no kids who are mainly around at weekends. Drinking/chatting/dancing seem to be the main areas of interest.

Then there are the over 45's, with house/kids, limited on time but focused on what they want from a swinging club ie. direct action with others.

"

I wouldn't disagree with that assessment.

over a year ago

As much as I am a fan of most of the existing swinging clubs and do hope for their continued existence, there is the couples and single women blindspot to the paid parties. The blindspot is this. From the Midlands going south to my knowledge only the BMFC parties (which get full), Jaydees (limited number of single men) and Eurekas cater for single men on a Saturday night. I have had a number of Saturday night meets fall by the wayside at the last minute and you are left in the horny zone twiddling ....your thumbs.

Although it must make commercial sense, there is a certain amount of shooting self in the foot by barring single men on the main going out night of the weekend. My Saturday fall back used to be Tease 2 now closed. When I was playing I would prefer an established club on a Saturday night to a paid party. However unlike a couple or a single woman who could turn up at a club without booking on a Saturday night (and I know there are good reasons why single men must book) I could not; I would have to book mid week, for a limited number of available options and would be stuffed (or not) if a Saturday meet fell through.

Given the large number of single men, (and reasonable numbers of couples and single women who do not want to play with other couples and prefer single men) the paid parties are the only outlet for swinging mingling.

This is not a whinge on the part of single men but an explanation why some of the paid parties exist.

over a year ago

"As much as I am a fan of most of the existing swinging clubs and do hope for their continued existence, there is the couples and single women blindspot to the paid parties. The blindspot is this. From the Midlands going south to my knowledge only the BMFC parties (which get full), Jaydees (limited number of single men) and Eurekas cater for single men on a Saturday night. I have had a number of Saturday night meets fall by the wayside at the last minute and you are left in the horny zone twiddling ....your thumbs.

Although it must make commercial sense, there is a certain amount of shooting self in the foot by barring single men on the main going out night of the weekend. My Saturday fall back used to be Tease 2 now closed. When I was playing I would prefer an established club on a Saturday night to a paid party. However unlike a couple or a single woman who could turn up at a club without booking on a Saturday night (and I know there are good reasons why single men must book) I could not; I would have to book mid week, for a limited number of available options and would be stuffed (or not) if a Saturday meet fell through.

Given the large number of single men, (and reasonable numbers of couples and single women who do not want to play with other couples and prefer single men) the paid parties are the only outlet for swinging mingling.

This is not a whinge on the part of single men but an explanation why some of the paid parties exist."

got to bring some sand to beach when it's like that.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/02/17 17:00:55]

over a year ago

Err, if there was sand there would not have been issue. Some single men are genuinely single and not 'fab' single.

I would add I am no longer single but merely providing an explanation.

over a year ago

"Err, if there was sand there would not have been issue. Some single men are genuinely single and not 'fab' single.

I would add I am no longer single but merely providing an explanation. "

I know I am genuinely single, just have to accept the swinging hierarchy and double standards.

over a year ago

st helens

Reading through the posts it sounds like swinging and similar lifestyles are growing in popularity. We are becoming more open minded like our European neighbours but it seems with websites and private parties taking a slice of the cake its making it so supply is growing that little bit faster than the demand so the scene is spread a little too thin.

Would that be a fair summary?

over a year ago

"Reading through the posts it sounds like swinging and similar lifestyles are growing in popularity. We are becoming more open minded like our European neighbours but it seems with websites and private parties taking a slice of the cake its making it so supply is growing that little bit faster than the demand so the scene is spread a little too thin.

Would that be a fair summary?"

Like...

Think the demand is there waiting tho, whether or not those currently providing are actually giving people what they want will be interesting to see over the next 12 months...

xx

By *r an Mrs xMan
over a year ago

liverpool

The north west have too many to be viable Think you'll only survive in big towns that are within £10-15 taxi ride away from a massive catchment area. Or the night becomes too expensive

Having one or two busy nights a week just doesn't pay the bills

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"The north west have too many to be viable Think you'll only survive in big towns that are within £10-15 taxi ride away from a massive catchment area. Or the night becomes too expensive

Having one or two busy nights a week just doesn't pay the bills "

There may be a ring of truth in that for some but, especially in the north west, there a a lot of clubs that have been around for many years.

Adam & Eve, over 30 years

Cupids, over 20 years.

Partners, at least 17 years.

Liasons, again at least 17 years.

Infusions, 12 years.

No 3, although more recent seems to be doing OK.

Of course some will come and go and even the established ones will have their ups and downs, but there is no business that can operate for the number of years that they have without being viable.

By *ethnmelvCouple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

Just a theory? "

We tend to see the opposite. Fab is great for realising we are a sizeable minority, it lets you see others want the same as you & for us the Clubs act as the perfect location to have fun in a bubble

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"The north west have too many to be viable Think you'll only survive in big towns that are within £10-15 taxi ride away from a massive catchment area. Or the night becomes too expensive

"

Just to follow on from that.

In Germany it seems to be the exact opposite.

There are very few clubs in German city centres yet there are dozens that are way out in the sticks.

For example Dusseldorf has no clubs in the city itself yet Ennepe Rhur Kreis (Yes I know you've never heard of it) which is a small group of villages around half an hours drive away has five and at least two others in small towns and villages that are not far away.

At least three of them would be regarded as European super clubs but none of them would be reachable from the city (or any other major population centre) for even double the taxi fare quoted.

Maybe it's a cultural thing but the Germans tend to drive to swinger clubs and not drink.

over a year ago

"

There is 1 in Manchester. The others are Eccles, Swinton, Rochdale, Bury. Not within the M60 but all within half hour drive of city... ish and not far from the M60. Eg I think rochdale is 2 junctions on m62 from the m60. Similar for swinton "

There are certainly enough to fit in 3 club visits in a night if the first 2 are empty, which friends and I have done.

By *plpxp2Couple
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

"Unfortunately some of our local clubs have closed over the last couple of years; Youtopia and Daniel House mainly due to a lack of numbers attending."

Very little in the Northeast apart from Club F and Quest, despite it being a large area. Obviously folks in the Northwest are far naughtier, hence way more clubs

Post new Message to Thread