Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Chat room feedback/discussion

anonymous chat moderators

Jump to newest

By *eep. OP   Man
over a year ago

Just a background character

Moderators do a thankless task and I wonder if it would be easier for them if they were anonymous. It can’t be easy to be a moderator and they are sometimes few and far between.

If moderators appeared in chat as an anonymous account, say for instance like Moderator1*, and if they were restrictied to use standard chat warnings, and did not get involved in chat, maybe then there would be less friction and disruption.

Sarcastic and condescending chat rule warnings don’t do anything to improve the atmosphere in a chatroom.

Perhaps more people might volunteer to be moderators if it was an anonymous account role.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

It wouldn't be much fun being a moderator if you couldn't join in.

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

I'm sure moderating can be a thankless task at times and moderators have to have a thicker skin than some at times.

Moderators are however volunteers and are also chatters in a chatroom.

I think you'll find that the warnings are posted in respond to comments that are in the room, perhaps already lowering the mood of the chat .. most of the time moderating in the room is low key.

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

I can see where you're coming from OP as I'm sure moderators get undeserved negativity from some people for decisions they have made and the anonymity would put a stop to that, but I would rather know who the moderators are so that if there is a problem that arises repeatedly the mod who dealt with it previously would know more about what is going on.

You are right, it is a thankless task.

By *lyreelMan
over a year ago

King's lynn

I think they should be reeled in a bit, it’s easy for them to go on a power trip and be abusive, contentious and then ban you when they don’t get you rolling over to their views.

On the whole they are very good on this site but mistakes have been made. Anonymity might make it easier for them to not act accordingly.

By *esty 2021Man
over a year ago

Rockford IL

I don’t know if any current chat moderator would moderate if they couldn’t chat and be themselves let alone new ones.

I join chat to chat and moderate as a chatter.

I get the sentiment just not the practicality.

As to the poster who believes mods should be reined in and can go on power trips I assume you have reported said moderators via the CONTACT link.

Feedback is given if necessary I can vouch for that for sure.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I think they should be reeled in a bit, it’s easy for them to go on a power trip and be abusive, contentious and then ban you when they don’t get you rolling over to their views.

"

They don't do this, if they did they wouldn't be a mod for long

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Prefer as it is it's nice having staff getting involved with some of the threads it's good interaction as us users

By *litheroevoyeurMan
over a year ago

Clitheroe

"I think they should be reeled in a bit, it’s easy for them to go on a power trip and be abusive, contentious and then ban you when they don’t get you rolling over to their views.

On the whole they are very good on this site but mistakes have been made. Anonymity might make it easier for them to not act accordingly.

"

With you on this

By *lyreelMan
over a year ago

King's lynn

They don't do this, if they did they wouldn't be a mod for long"

Maybe not in your experience being a mod, but I have had this. Unfortunately.

I did report at the time and it was dealt with.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

In all the time I have been on this site I have never known a mod to abuse someone in chat or on the forum come to that but as my post said, IF that did happen then they wouldn't be a mod for long

Anyway lets get back to the OP

By *litheroevoyeurMan
over a year ago

Clitheroe

"

If moderators appeared in chat as an anonymous account, say for instance like Moderator1*, and if they were restrictied to use standard chat warnings, and did not get involved in chat, maybe then there would be less friction and disruption.

"

Great idea for the very points mentioned.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

"

A question, what friction and disruption do you think is caused because a moderator is chatting as a chatter?

By *lyreelMan
over a year ago

King's lynn

"

As a moderator I think they can enjoy chat etc as we all do, but they have a responsibility to not get involved in, or indeed incite argument.

Some get carried away with a sense of self importance.

It’s nice to be nice!

A question, what friction and disruption do you think is caused because a moderator is chatting as a chatter?"

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

It was the OP I was asking the question to to be fair and this is about chat mods, which I don't think you use chat

By *ornyhotcouple696969Couple
over a year ago

Oxfordshire

"

You get banned when you break the rules. The rules are there for a reason, follow them and you'll be fine.

Post new Message to Thread