Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Bikers

Snake pass - over rated

Jump to newest

By *dqsy OP   Man
2 weeks ago

Mappawell

I am based in south yorks so frequently ride over snakes pass. (Pensitone to wood head pass to Glossop, then to lady bower over the snake).

So with the traffic its slowed down and I find there are more cars out now trying prove them selves, who take huge risks, and to be honest just not enjoying the snake anymore, yet it seems to be hyped/promoted as life achievement to be done.

Would you recommend folk to try the snake ? At the moment I would say doing the NC500 and going west to east has better roads and corners that can be done at speed

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ubbles12312Couple
2 weeks ago

stockport

Was a report on the new tonight that they may have to close if for good soon as the land is slowly sliding down and the cost to try to keep it open will run in to 100 off millions

By *dqsy OP   Man
2 weeks ago

Mappawell

I would be surprised to see it shut permanently as its a main route to manc from Sheffield.

By *ubbles12312Couple
2 weeks ago

stockport

That's exactly what I was thinking

By *unguy1969ABCMan
2 weeks ago

Stirling

The NC500 is definitely a good run, but again, spoilt by slow campervan/motor home drivers dithering along. Thankfully, with a bike it's easier to overtake them.

By *otty BikerMan
2 weeks ago

Warrington

I give it a miss now, only been down there twice and both times near ended up totalled through car drivers acting like idiots !

By *nked_kinky89Man
2 weeks ago

Around

3 or 4 years ago it was a joy to ride. Now with all the surface damage and roadworks it's really not so good.

I feel like they're letting it get worse to discourage people from going up there

By *en JerkinoffMan
1 week ago

whitehaven

I have always wanted to travel the NW 500 but I have never got round to it.

By *dqsy OP   Man
1 week ago

Mappawell

There are crap roads and areas on the NW500 and not all is fun on a sport bike due to gravel and bumps etc. But at the moment it feels better than the snake pass.

Its being ruined for me further that mortimor road from ladybower area to woodhead pass round about has been recovered eg tax then stone chipping on top. Felt like a sKate rink with the RXV4 rear tyre spinning up all the time.

Anyone good any good suggestions for a replacement to the snake ?

Post new Message to Thread