By * aim to please OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Kinnegad

Thoughts on either models?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By * and BCouple
11 weeks ago

Durham

I had my Pan since 2009. I was planning on keeping it for ever but in August 2022 a car driver knocked us of_ and bike was wrote off. I loved the bike, plenty of power, in fact speaking to the Traffic cops after they were given the FJR they said Pan could catch sports bikes but FJR struggled. I do know an ex Police biker who was offered to buy his FJR. He did but purely due to ease of servicing not the better performance of his Pan. We all know the story of why they got rid of the Pans but I did ride mine hard at times over at TT and never had any issues at all. Took it all over Europe, again never had any issues. Like I said I'd still have it today if it wasn't due to an idiot car driver, may I add she did get prosecuted but no consolation for the loss of a great bike I owned from new. Mr B

By *edLionScotMan
11 weeks ago

Edinburgh

A good few years back the Pan 1300 was, on paper, going to be my next bike.

Until I test rode one!!!

Brilliant bike, but noticeably slower than my then 750.

I chose a Blackbird instead, and after that, I ended up with an FJR.

No Sports bike, but it can be hustled, and is noticeably quicker than the Pan.

I guess you gotta go try both.

By * and BCouple
11 weeks ago

Durham

[Removed by poster at 01/03/24 17:43:31]

By * and BCouple
11 weeks ago

Durham

"A good few years back the Pan 1300 was, on paper, going to be my next bike.

Until I test rode one!!!

Brilliant bike, but noticeably slower than my then 750.

I chose a Blackbird instead, and after that, I ended up with an FJR.

No Sports bike, but it can be hustled, and is noticeably quicker than the Pan.

I guess you gotta go try both.

"

I was in Europe with my ST1300 Pan a few years back. My mate had a Blackbird and he could never shake me off, so my version of the Pan is completely different to yours. Plus when the Police say the Pan is quicker than FJR, that to me is the best review ever. I would say I could never get over the mountain at TT as quick as I could on my Fireblade but that is what the Blade was designed for I'd say. At the end of the day if you are wanting either a Pan or FJR it isn't for the speed but the practicability. The Pan has much more room in the luggage boxes, fairings aren't as easy to remove as the FJR for servicing. Bikes are pretty much like for like on paper but one is a much better built Honda and the other is, well, a Yamaha

By *agman275Man
10 weeks ago

Benfleet

There are other bike to consider in that of big tourers that can hustle try a BMW K1300s or the K1600 gtl

By * and BCouple
10 weeks ago

Durham

"There are other bike to consider in that of big tourers that can hustle try a BMW K1300s or the K1600 gtl "

When I had my pan I also had a triumph explorer 1200xrx. The plan was buy the Explorer and sell the Pan but I couldn't sell it as it was so smooth, the Explorer was so aggressive. 2 great bikes for 2 different reasons

By *hromosexualsCouple
9 weeks ago

Near Abercynon

I pondered those two and eventually bought a Kawasaki 1400GTR which I'm fairly happy with so far

Mr

By *orthernpairCouple
9 weeks ago

North East

I’ve had both, Pan all day long in my view. I just couldn’t get off with the FJR. I found the Pan more comfortable, more practical, better weather protection and better built.

But you gotta try them and decide yourself, your requirements may be different to others.

By *haron1701DTV/TS
7 weeks ago

ormskirk

I've had my Pan1100 since, oooh, errr 2007/8 ish?

Very close to 500k miles on it now and been across most of Europe on it.

Handles brilliantly (its the 1300 that had issues due to overloading with police equipment and a heavy radio unit and extra battery under the rear seat hump affecting weight distribution and steering geometry).

Good fuel range (250miles+), excellent weather protection, good long distance riding position.

Beautifully smooth power delivery and still lots of them in use even 22 years after production ceased.

Won't part with mine - love it.

By *weetnsour1100Couple
7 weeks ago

Leeds/York

"I've had my Pan1100 since, oooh, errr 2007/8 ish?

Handles brilliantly (its the 1300 that had issues due to overloading with police equipment and a heavy radio unit and extra battery under the rear seat hump affecting weight distribution and steering geometry).

Good fuel range (250miles+), excellent weather protection, good long distance riding position.

Beautifully smooth power delivery and still lots of them in use even 22 years after production ceased.

Won't part with mine - love it. "

The Police ST1300 didn't have an extra battery and the radio and bike electronics weigh a lot less than a pillion; it was the shape of the hump that caused the issues.

The FJR is quicker with more electronics than the Pan but doesn't handle as well. I agree that the GTR is better than them both; I've owned all 3.

By * and BCouple
7 weeks ago

Durham

"I've had my Pan1100 since, oooh, errr 2007/8 ish?

Won't part with mine - love it.

The Police ST1300 didn't have an extra battery and the radio and bike electronics weigh a lot less than a pillion; it was the shape of the hump that caused the issues.

The FJR is quicker with more electronics than the Pan but doesn't handle as well. I agree that the GTR is better than them both; I've owned all 3."

To be honest we do know personally the test that was made by the Police about the so called problem. It came to light when a Police rider was killed in an accident on his Pan. I do believe it was found that the said problem was not deemed to blame but however it still had to be looked into. The test ride took place and no problems were found. When travelling back the bike did a very slight swerve and was put down to road not bike, but as it did the swerve that was enough to pull them from operation. That is what what we were told but we do not in any way say this on an official footing

By *enuine Gent 4 funMan
6 weeks ago

norwich

Personally cant go wrong with my Blackbird all geared for touring or 2 mins panniers and top box off for local !

Taken it to Germany, Belgium and France 4 times now

Then on a weekend boxes off and hold on for a blast to the coast !

By *reenlanerCouple
6 weeks ago

bournemouth

[Removed by poster at 03/04/24 10:28:53]

By *reenlanerCouple
6 weeks ago

bournemouth

I’ve had pans, fjr1300 but by far the best bike was the Kawasaki gtr1400

Only pitfall was major service as there is little room between the engine and top of frame

By *weetnsour1100Couple
6 weeks ago

Leeds/York

"I’ve had pans, fjr1300 but by far the best bike was the Kawasaki gtr1400

Only pitfall was major service as there is little room between the engine and top of frame"

I agree; the GTR is an awesome bike

By * and BCouple
6 weeks ago

Durham

Only pitfall was major service as there is little room between the engine and top of frame

I agree; the GTR is an awesome bike "

Just looked at them on a well known auction site, not bad prices. 2009 model £2600 That's a lot of bike for little money

By *ortslade_funMan
6 weeks ago

portslade

Pan out of the 2 in the original question, I hated my fjr and it wasn't great for touring, the centre stand is a pig and they don't filter well.

I agree the gtr1400 is a fantastic bike although I went for the zzr1400 instead

By *reenlanerCouple
5 weeks ago

bournemouth

I agree; the GTR is an awesome bike

Just looked at them on a well known auction site, not bad prices. 2009 model £2600 That's a lot of bike for little money "

They had a revamp in 2010, fairing are different as the earlier ones riders use to complain of heat rising from engine onto the rider

By *reenlanerCouple
5 weeks ago

bournemouth

"Pan out of the 2 in the original question, I hated my fjr and it wasn't great for touring, the centre stand is a pig and they don't filter well.

I agree the gtr1400 is a fantastic bike although I went for the zzr1400 instead "

Same engine i heavier touring frame,

Post new Message to Thread